Oh, breakfast! A beautiful meal that can take on a variety of flavor profiles. Whether it was sweet potato pancakes, savory veggie and potato hash, or scrambled eggs and greens, we loved seeing all the breakfast dishes our shareholders entered in the Seed to Supper Challenge. This beloved City Fresh Classic is one of our favorites and frittatas were often the breakfast of choice among our challenge participants!
Italian in origin, this egg-based bake is typically filled with a mixture of cheese, protein, and veggies. Since frittatas are scrumptious, simple to make, and can easily accommodate a variety of vegetables, they are an excellent meal to make using your share of locally grown produce. Below are some frittata tips and a simple frittata recipe that can act as the foundation for all your baked egg creations.
The City Fresh Basic Veggie Frittata Recipe
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk of your choice
- 1 cup of cheese (optional)
- 2 cups of cooked vegetables (quantity can be adjusted based on your preference)
- Fat or oil to grease your baking container and sauté your veggies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Any other seasonings you’d like
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. While the oven is heating, whisk together eggs, milk, seasonings, salt, and pepper.
- In an oven-safe pan and using a little oil, sauté the veggie fillings of your choice until slightly tender. If you do not have an oven-safe pan, sauté your veggies in whatever pan you have on hand and transfer the cooked veggies to a greased, oven-safe baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over cooked veggies and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the center of the frittata is set (no longer wiggly) and the corners golden brown.
- Allow the baked frittata to cool until warm and enjoy it with your favorite morning beverage.
Tips for an Even Tastier Frittata
- Swap your milk for yogurt or cream. Switching milk for yogurt, sour cream, half and half, or any other fat-rich substitute will make your frittata extra fluffy and delicious.
- Use your leftovers! If you already have some tasty cooked vegetables on hand, why not give them a second life by using them as filling for your next frittata?
- Exchange your frittata findings! Trading recipes with your City Fresh volunteers, fellow shareholders, neighbors, friends, and family almost always yields new recipe ideas and flavor combos. You can get started by gathering inspiration from other shareholders by checking out the slideshow of the Seed to Supper Challenge breakfast submissions above!