Title: George Jones Farm Manager
Classification: Full-time, exempt (salaried)
Supervisor: Executive Director
Start Date: 1 May 2022
Location: Oberlin, Ohio
Compensation: $35,000; housing; generous paid time off; farm box produce
About City Fresh
City Fresh creates and promotes a more healthy, vibrant, and equitable local foods system. Our hub of operations and educational center is the George Jones Memorial Farm and Nature Preserve in Oberlin. Located just one mile east from Oberlin College campus, the GJF is an innovative educational site with an abundance of resources for students and the greater community. Named after beloved Oberlin College botanist George Jones, the farm is a haven for native plants, animals, and fungi. With a focus on restoration agriculture, techniques used here help build soil and create healthier, more nutritious crops.
Farm Manager Job Description
The Farm Manager will develop and manage all aspects of the George Jones Farm production fields, including growing organic vegetables, fruits, and herbs; identifying and selling in local markets and on-site; managing farm interns and volunteers; and speaking to public groups that frequent the farm for educational days.
This position requires a strong, practical knowledge of agricultural skills and farm management, and a passionate commitment to fighting climate crisis and building food sovereignty. The manager has primary responsibility for the planning, coordination, and implementation of all work, programs, and activities at GJF.
- Manage the development and implementation of a profitable crop plan
- Manage daily operations at the farm, including ground preparation, planting, irrigation, weed and pest management, harvest, and market preparation of produce
- Manage and oversee daily tasks for farmhands, interns, and volunteers
- Supervise hours and sign time cards for farm hands and interns
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of a land use plan
- Advise student interns, volunteers, and program participants with technical expertise
- Manage the maintenance of equipment and buildings relating to the farm’s productivity
- Track farm-related inventory and sales figures
- Work with established buyers including the City Fresh Farm Box Program, which will be a major purchaser
- Select and attend additional markets or find additional buyers as needed to ensure profitability.
- Maintain records relating to the farm’s budget
- Purchase needed supplies and equipment
- Maintain farm infrastructure, landscape, equipment, and vehicles with the help of interns and volunteers
- Plan and implement weekly/monthly/seasonal planting schedule
- Plan and implement weekly harvest schedule
- Market and deliver harvests with the assistance of interns, students, and volunteers
- Assist City Fresh team for farm box packing and preparing
- Work with the Executive Director to assess, plan, and implement site improvements and maintenance
- Coordinate with other staff and advisory team including monthly board reports
- Collaborate with Executive Director and other staff with grant proposals and farm-specific funding opportunities, especially during the winter months
- Collaborate with Executive Director and other staff on planning, budgeting, and developing farm programs and offerings
- Collaborate with staff to produce marketing content and strategy
- Manage farm staff related to production, including interviewing, training, coaching, and evaluating production staff and interns
- Advise and support students and community partners who are interested in pursuing careers and projects in sustainable farming
- Formal education not required. We value experience, a track record of success, and a demonstrated understanding of the organic farming profession
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others
- Demonstrated organization skills and ability to manage detailed, complex tasks
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Proven experience in land management and crop plan implementation
- Experience in growing/using organic/permaculture principles
- Ability to repeatedly lift 50 lbs
- Self-motivated, cooperative, and flexible
- Responsibly manage administrative and record keeping tasks related to running the farm business and overall success of the organization
Statement of Non-Discrimination
City Fresh is committed to being an equitable employer and a diverse, affirming organization. We do not tolerate discrimination, including with regard to race, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, religion, age, ability, sexual orientation, family status, or criminal history. We encourage employment applications and program participation from all qualified individuals including people with criminal histories, women, people of color, people with disabilities, and people in the LGBTQIA community.
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.