Title: City Fresh Farmhand
Classification: Part-time, contract
Supervisor: Farm Manager
Start Date: 1 June 2022
Location: Oberlin, Ohio
About City Fresh
City Fresh creates and promotes a more healthy, vibrant, and equitable local foods system. Our hub of operations and educational center is the George Jones Memorial Farm and Nature Preserve (GJF) in Oberlin. Located just one mile east from Oberlin College campus, the GJF is an innovative educational site with an abundance of resources for students and the greater community. Named after beloved Oberlin College botanist George Jones, the farm is a haven for native plants, animals, and fungi. With a focus on restoration agriculture, techniques used here help build soil and create healthier, more nutritious crops.
Farmhands will assist farm staff in the growing of multiple varieties of vegetable plants.
- Germination, pruning, trellising, and pest/disease identification
- Weeding, watering, and harvesting
- Assist in insect and weed control, fertility monitoring, and general field observation
- Move plants, shrubs, and trees with wheelbarrows or tractors
- Assist with weekly market management
- Assist with packaging and distribution of harvested vegetables for both GJF and City Fresh Farm Box program
- Other tasks as assigned
- Self-motivated, cooperative, and flexible
- Able to work in the field, outdoor classroom and office including hard, repetitive physical work
Statement of Non-Discrimination
City Fresh is committed to being an equitable employer and a diverse, affirming organization. We do not tolerate discrimination, including with regard to race, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, religion, age, ability, sexual orientation, family status, or criminal history. We encourage employment applications and program participation from all qualified individuals including people with criminal histories, women, people of color, people with disabilities, and people in the LGBTQIA community.
To apply, send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until positions are filled.